God … The game is all your way, the secrets and the signals and
the system; and so for the break of the game and
the first play and the last. Our prayer of thanks.
Carl Sandburg Our Prayer of Thanks
Thanksgiving dinners take eighteen hours to prepare. They are consumed in twelve minutes. Half-times take twelve minutes. This is not coincidence.
Thanksgiving Day is the one day that is purely American.
Thanksgiving Football Quick Quiz
The Thanksgiving Week offers great rivalry games … can you name the schools that play in these ten rivalries?
Battle for the Golden Boot
Clean, Old Fashioned Hate
Ain’t that America
Welcome to The Campus Game where a second helping of turkey and dressing is a side course to the main dish of Thanksgiving week football.
We’ll get to the quiz answers in just a minute, but as we gather with family and friends for food and football this holiday season we are enjoying a truly historical aspect of American culture.
College football and Thanksgiving have been linked together for well over a century.
By the 1880s, football had surpassed baseball as the most popular campus game, and (in these pre-bowl game years) the season typically ended with a big Thanksgiving Day game against a top rival. The same held true for high school football teams too.
So … enjoy your feast and your football … it’s America.
Backyard Brawl: Pitt-West Virginia
Battle for the Golden Boot: LSU-Arkansas
Bedlam: Oklahoma-OK State
Border War: Kansas-Missouri
Civil War: Oregon-Oregon State
Clean, Old Fashioned Hate: Georgia-Georgia Tech
Egg Bowl: Ole Miss-Miss State
Holy War: BYU-Utah
Iron Bowl: Alabama-Auburn
Sunshine Showdow: Florida-FSU
The Campus Game Top Ten Games (Thanksgiving Week)
10. Texas at Texas A&M: Longhorns take on Aggies and the “12th man” at College Station.
9. Utah at BYU: Only pairing of Top 25 teams over Thanksgiving weekend … that’s not right.
8. Southern Miss at East Carolina: Golden Eagles and Pirates settle the C-USA East title.
7. Florida State at Florida: Tim Tebow’s last home game as Gators try to stay perfect.
6. Nevada at Boise State: WAC title on line as wily Wolfpack creeps onto the blue turf.
5. OK State at Oklahoma: Pokes are looking for a BCS bid but must get past in-state nemesis Sooners in Bedlam series.
4. Pitt at West Virginia: The Brawl looms large because Pitt is still in BCS bowl picture.
3. Georgia-Georgia Tech: Can Bulldogs recover and upset Tech after blowing a two-touchdown lead over Kentucky?
2. Ole Miss at Miss State: The Egg Bowl has few national ramifications (other than bowl implications), but is annually one of the hardest-hitting, most fun games to watch.
1. Alabama at Auburn: Tide travels to Plains with national title hopes on the line.
Around the SEC and Professor’s Picks
Check back later in the week for Around the SEC and Professor’s Picks.
See you at kickoff!