Houston Nutt at the print/internet media podium:
- Before even starting his presentation, Nutt announces that he voted for Tim Tebow as the first-team all-SEC quarterback on the preseason team. That leaves Lane Kiffin and Steve Spurrier as the primary suspects in this year’s mystery vote (Ole Miss QB Jevan Snead got the only non-Tebow vote).
- Houston Nutt is always one of the most personable coaches … he often calls media members by their first name (unusual among the coaches).
- Asked the keys to beating Florida, Nutt responded 1) win the tunover battle, and 2) limit the number of Gator big plays on offense, realizing they will make some.
- In response to the fairly common criticism that his teams play better when not much is expected of them (and conversely, underachieve when much is expected), Nutt reflected that injuries had often played a significant part in earlier disappointments.
- Discussing the newly passed SEC rule limiting recruiting classes to 28 signees each year (only 25 can actually enroll) which was widely believed implemented as a result of Nutt and Ole Miss signing 39 last spring … Nutt explained he knew many of the signees would not qualify and that his staff signed so many for two reasons: 1) to make the players part of the Ole Miss “family” which will eventually pay dividends, and 2) to establish good relations with the state’s numerous junior college coaches.
- Coach Nutt had a nice response when asked about preseason expectations … he told his players that last year the “experts” picked the team at the bottom and they finished high … this year the same “experts” are picking the Rebels highly … so … preseason prognostications mean nothing.
- Should Ole Miss have a great 2009 season, the start of it will certainly be well-chronicled. The documentary Gridiron U will follow the Rebs from preseason camp in August through the team’s opener against Memphis. The series, reminiscent of MTV’s Two a Days (that featured Hoover High School), will air on TruTV on dates to be determined.
- The print/internet media room is freeeezzzinnnng … but the free Dr. Pepper and Golden Flake snacks are terrific.